You’re on Twitter, and you’re tired of reading about what your brother-in-law ate for breakfast (Grape Nuts, again). You’re interested in following the tweets of people who have real thoughts and actually have something interesting to say.
You’re in luck: Great thinkers, legislators, celebrities, sports stars, scientists, and entrepreneurs all have their own Twitter feeds, and you can catch a glimpse into their daily lives simply by following them.
Here, then, are nine of the more interesting people that you should be following on Twitter:
1. Kanye West: Follow @kanyewest and you won’t be disappointed. The musician is never afraid to say what’s on his mind, even if what he says rarely makes any sense. West will probably tick you off at some point, but he’s never boring. (Note: PG-13 to R rated)
2. Conan O’Brien: The late-night talk-show host happens to be one of the wittiest people around. He’s also a master of the absurd, and his Twitter comments are always entertaining. You’ll be happy to know, too, that he never promotes his show through his tweets.
3. Marissa Mayer: You might not know Marissa Mayer, but if you like technology, she’s worth a follow. Mayer was the first female engineer at Google. If you want some interesting tidbits about Google and a look into the life of a tech expert, follow @Marissamayer.
4. Mike Massimino: Head in the clouds? Then follow @Astro_Mike, the Twitter home to NASA astronaut Mike Massimino. This astronaut can give you the inside scoop on life at NASA and a glimpse into what it’s like to go into space. (He also made a recent cameo on the TV show The Big Bang Theory. And, yes, he tweeted about it.)
5. Rainn Wilson: Fans of NBC’s The Office know Rainn Wilson as beet farm owner and top salesman Dwight Schrute. He also runs one of the more entertaining Twitter feeds out there at @Rainnwilson. An example of a recent Tweet: “If I had a bird, I would call it James VanDerBeak.”
6. Ryan Penagos: If you like comics, you should know Ryan Penagos. He’s the editorial director of Marvel Comics. He’s also a busy Tweeter at @Agent_M. Penagos and recently Tweeted about a new Spider-Man video game and gave his thoughts on his favorite comics. (He likes the work of writer Brian Michael Bendis.)
7. Barack Obama: Maybe you didn’t vote for him, but Barack Obama is the president of the United States. How can you not follow his Twitter feed? Check out what the Commander in Chief has to say at @BarackObama.
8. Bill Gates: Again, you might hate Microsoft Windows, but you should still follow the Twitter feed of Bill Gates. The man has made an undeniable impact in the tech world. And today, he and his wife are devoting their time to important charitable causes.
9. Lady Gaga: Lady Gaga has become a true Twitter star with more than 8.5 million followers. Maybe you don’t like her music, but at least you can learn from a true PR/marketing genius. See what all the fuss is about by following her at @ladygaga.
P.S. On March 21, Twitter turns 6.